On 10/18/2010 8:58 PM, Steve Jenkins wrote:
Gotit. Thanks again for helping me out. I'm still learning.

So it seems I need to figure out how to stop the backscatter process at step
6 and NOT return the bounce to the original sender.

The solution is to not forward spam to outside accounts. That means your server must not accept the spam in the first place.

Search the list archives and the postfix docs for general spam-fighting tips.

Forwarding mail off-site without generating backscatter isn't an easy problem to solve. The "obvious" solution of not sending bounces is the wrong solution since it breaks mail reliability.

The real solution is an SMTP proxy that forwards the mail in real time so that mail not accepted by the various downstream servers is never accepted by your server. Unfortunately postfix (or any MTA I'm aware of) can't do that.

  -- Noel Jones