On 2010-11-04 10:28:00 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 10:56:57AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> > I can replace that "Otherwise..." sentence by a separate list item.
> >
> >        domain.tld
> >               Matches domain.tld.
> >
> >           The pattern domain.tld also matches subdomains, but only
> >           when the string smtpd_access_maps is listed in the Postfix
> >           parent_domain_matches_subdomains configuration setting.
> >
> >        .domain.tld
> >           Matches subdomains of domain.tld, but only when the
> >           string smtpd_access_maps is not listed in the Postfix
> >           parent_domain_matches_subdomains configuration setting.
>
> I like this. I think it's clearer. I, too, once misinterpreted this
> passage, and whilst it might not qualify as a postfix-users FAQ, it
> does come up regularly here.

I still think that it's a bit ambiguous, because I was seeing
".domain.tld" as a subcase of "domain.tld" ("domain" being a
sequence of allowed characters including dots). Correct me if
I'm wrong (I haven't tested and don't know what postfix does
internally), but would changing the beginning by

    domain.tld
       Matches domain.tld, where "domain" may contain dots, but
       must not start with a dot.

be what is really intended?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>