On 11/5/2010 5:59 PM, Richard Stockton wrote:
Thanks to those that responded.

 >On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 Victor Duchovni wrote:
 >> Is there a way to tell postfix to log a more informational
message
 >> when smtpd_recipient_limit is exceeded? If it just logged the
 >> same message it is sending to the client ("452 4.5.3
Error: too
 >> many recipients") that would be helpful.

 >Given ESMTP pipelining, this is not a good idea. The client
will deliver
 >the accepted recipients, and make a second connection (or
more) connection
 >to send the rest.

Hi Victor,

I don't quite understand what the problem would be with this.
It's just
writing an additional bit of text to the maillog, preferably
at the same
time, in the same line, it writes "sender non-delivery
notification" to

You're misinterpreting the logs somewhere. Postfix does not and cannot send non-delivery notifications for mail it doesn't receive.

The sender non-delivery is not related to the other issue of too many recipients.

Also, our customer is unable to determine which, if any, of
his emails
were actually sent. He just sees the "non-delivery
notification" email

Ah, now we learn that you're referring to a client submission rather than general incoming email. All the desktop mail clients I know of will abort the whole transaction if there is an error -- no mail is sent. Is the client using some sort of (garbage) MTA rather than a normal desktop MUA? Did they maybe attempt multiple submissions with a partial recipient list?

  -- Noel Jones