Le 14/01/2011 15:41, Markus Treinen a écrit :
> Am 14.01.2011 00:02, schrieb Jeroen Geilman:
>> You alias VIRTUAL addresses to REAL users, not the other way around.
>> The real user already has a real mailbox - why does he need to go
>> through at least 2 extra translation steps ?
> Because I don't want to have a REAL (as in UNIX) user for every
> different "virtual" user having a virtual mailbox. Imagine a big mail
> provider. By using your approach, there could be at most 65533 REAL
> users (excluding root).
> I want to avoid real users having real mailboxes (in fact, that's all I
> need), because nobody would log in as, i.e. cron, and read those mails.

I have zero (like in '0') "real" users (if you mean unix accounts)
having email accounts, and vice versa.

>> As I already indicated, the usual solution is:
>>
>>     mydestination = mylocalhostname.mydomain
>>
>> ALL your "real", external domains go in virtual_*_domains.
> That's what I already have. That would work well (as stated above) with
> every (or multiple) virtual user(s) mapping to a REAL user, which would
> still deliver mail to real users.

looks like you are confusing email and unix. these are completely
different things. Here, there is no relationship between unix accounts
and email addresses. the fact that historically unix machines came with
a full email system and that sendmail was a unix MTA are... historical
things. both the internet and unix have moved since then...

>>> That said, I don't really need the delivery via local(8) and hence
>>> the compatibility with /etc/aliases and .forward, so I could deliver
>>> all mail via virtual(8) and disable local(8) altogether.
>>> What would be the best approach for that? Setting local_transport =
>>> virtual?
>> Hell no.
>>
>> As I said above, set mydestination to something that cannot be reached
>> from the outside.
> Then what about locally (on the same host) generated mail from cron
> etc.? A domain not reachable from the outside doesn't prevent mail
> generated from the local machine.

which cron mail are you talinkg about?
- for "normal" mail, the recipient is defined in the script that sends
mail. when out of imagination, you can use "postmaster", "root",
"admin", ... all of which can be v-aliased...

- for errors (when a cron job run as "joe" fails), then you can create a
v-alias for every joe used to run a cron job. This is actually a
"limitation" of cron which tries to send mail to a unix account.