I've searched but haven't found quite what I'm trying to do. I have found a couple of similar questions here but no answer to my problem.

I have a dozen outbound Postfix mail servers (vers. 2.5.5-6.8 & 2.5.2) processing a relatively large amount of e-mail from a "service" account, which triggers greylisting from providers such as yahoo.com and txt.att.net. Our inbound server gets overwhelmed processing bounced mail notifications in addition to SPAM and regular inbound e-mail. I was asked to config the outbound mail servers to quit returning deferred message delivery notifications back to our mail server but I'm not really seeing way to do that. These are 4xx messages... usually 421. We still need to process undeliverable (5xx) messages.

If I understand correctly, this is handled by the "bounce" application which is specified in the services section /etc/postfix/master.cf. The line that I believe would need to change is:

defer unix - - n - 0 bounce

If I understand Postfix, the bounce application will handle both the delivery status notification that I'm trying to suppress and re-queuing the message for later delivery. I don't see any documented options to allow it to re-queue without sending the notification, but I may be reading past it if one is available. I don't see any other mechanism to handle the re-queue without the delivery notification. Can anybody help? I do have and example of the postconf -d if you'd like to see the whole thing, or I could provide specific variables if that would be easier.

TIA,
Paul