On 4/8/2011 2:45 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
* Jean-Sébastien Kroll-Rabotin<j...@no-log.org>:
Hi,

When my Postfix server sends some mail from addresses in the local
domain, permanent errors (5XX) are treated as temporary errors (4XX)
and mail is delayed while it should definitely fail.
 From your logs I cannot see WHEN (at which stage of the SMTP dialoge)
the rejection occurs.

I think the rejection occurs immediately (before the HELO)

Try:

smtp_skip_5xx_greeting = no

In my experience RBL rejection is quite immediate indeed.

Just to source it:

  [snapshot-20000507] For the sake of Sendmail compatibility, the
  Postfix SMTP client skips over SMTP servers that greet with a 4XX
  or 5XX reply code, treating them as unreachable servers. To obtain
  prior behavior (4XX=retry, 5XX=bounce), specify "smtp_skip_4xx_greeting
  = no" and "smtp_skip_5xx_greeting = no".

I imagine the rationale is that if you hit an RBL, it is after all "real-time" and
retrying later MAY work; especially if the admin sees the log and takes immediate corrective
measures. I have also had the odd experience where one MX server of a domain has weeks-old RBL
cached data and another in the same farm is current so it's worth it for Postfix outbound to
consider the MX merely unreachable and to "shop around".

-Daniel