Stan Hoeppner wrote:
[snip]

> In this example, reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname would have
> generated a 450 rejection.  You should always use
> reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname at minimum, or the more
> restrictive reject_unknown_client_hostname, though this one can cause
> problems with FPs on occasion.  Best to use it with warn_if_reject for a
> while and monitor what it would have rejected.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname
>
> However, it appears that 190.221.28.39 has rDNS of
>
> Name: host39.190-221-28.telmex.net.ar
> Address: 190.221.28.39

No. The "reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname" in the above example
would not have generated a 450 rejection, since the IP address HAS a
reverse dns hostname.

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname

The "reject_unknown_client_hostname" generates lots of FP. I would not
recommend using it.

> so reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname isn't a permanent solution
> here.  The host is HELO'ing with an IP address, something legitimate
> hosts don't normally do.  A check_helo_access pcre table with an
> expression that rejects dotted quads (and other undesirable HELO
> strings) would work well here.
>
> Rejecting hosts with generic rDNS, or scoring generic rDNS aggressively
> in SA, is also a good way to stop spam from such hosts.  fqrdns.pcre
> would have rejected this mail outright:
>
> $ postmap -q host39.190-221-28.telmex.net.ar pcre:fqrdns.pcre
> REJECT  Generic - Please relay via ISP (telmex.net.ar)
>
> See:  http://www.hardwarefreak.com/fqrdns.pcre
>
> This pcre table stops a lot of spam.  Many OPs here use it with good
> success.  Instructions are comments at the top of the file.  Very low FP
> rate.  If most of the spam that's causing you a problem is from sources
> similar to this host, you'll be pleasantly surprised how much of it
> fqrdns.pcre rejects.

May I suggest that we don't reuse well defined abbrevations. OP is
"original poster", nothing else. To use it for sysop or mailadmin in a
mailing list is confusing.

Cheers,
Mikael