Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 09:39:10AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
>>> This looks like a Null MX record:
>>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-delany-nullmx-00
>>>
>>> If the domain owner declares that this domain never sends or recieves
>>> email, then shouldn't postfix reject the above message with a permanent
>>> error?
>> Anyone can post a draft. That does not mean that they change
>> the rules of the Internet.
>>
>> The SMTP RFC says that the MX record specifies a hostname, and
>> there is no RFC that says an empty string is a valid hostname.
>
> This said Null MX records are IMHO a reasonably simple/clean idea. Pity
> it never got officially blessed. I seem to recall that same concession
> to Null MX records was made in a Postfix release a while back...
>
>     20050726
>
>         Horror: total rewrite of DNS client error handling because
>         some misguided proposal attempts to give special meaning
>         to some syntactically invalid MX hostname lookup result.
>         Not only that, people expect sensible results with
>         reject_unknown_sender_domain etc.  Files: dns/dns_lookup.c,
>         smtp/smtp_addr.c smtpd/smtpd_check.c, lmtp/lmtp_addr.c.
>
>     [...]
>
>     20061227
>
>         Bugfix (introduced with Postfix 2.3): the MX hostname syntax
>         check was skipped with reject_unknown_helo_hostname and
>         reject_unknown_sender/recipient_domain, so that Postfix
>         would still accept mail from domains with a zero-length MX
>         hostname.  File: smtpd/smtpd_check.c.
>
> Which release is the OP using?

Hi Victor,

Just for the record. We use postfix-2.7.3.

Relevant part of "postconf -n":

reject_invalid_helo_hostname,    reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
reject_non_fqdn_sender,    reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
reject_non_fqdn_hostname,    reject_unauth_destination,
[snip]
reject_unknown_sender_domain,
reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
[snip]

But I think I got all my questions answered.
Thanks,
Mikael Bak