On 02/05/11 17:21, Steve Jenkins wrote:
This isn't a Postfix issue, just an FYI for those running updated
versions of Postfix on CentOS.

I recently updated one of my CentOS 5.5 systems (which was running
Postfix 2.8.2 compiled from source) to CentOS 5.6. The Postfix package
appeared nowhere on the upgrade list, and my /etc/yum.conf has
"exclude=postfix*" However, after the upgrade and a reboot, Postfix
wouldn't start. The maillog complained about the "smtpd pass" settings
in master.cf that I had uncommented to enable Postscreen.

There was a (Red Hat/CentOS) security update to Postfix issued almost 3 months after the upstream release of 5.6:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2011-0422.html

However, because CentOS were slow with the release of 5.6, the base update from 5.5 to 5.6, and subsequent errata to 5.6 were all rolled out simultaneously, including the Postfix update.

To exclude postfix updates, you'd need to add the exclude line to both the [base] and [updates] sections of your /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo config file. From your description I'd guess you've perhaps only excluded postfix from [base] and not [updates].

Looking at the install scripts run from the Postfix RPM package in CentOS, looks like it's reset itself as the default Postfix install as you've surmised.

Running 'rpm -q postfix' would confirm if the latest Postfix RPM package slipped through your net during the 5.6 update.