I think a milter that tracks per-sender traffic outbound is the best idea.  The
MTA doesn't have to know anything other than how to talk to the milter, so the
source and configuration stay clean; the milter can contain all the knowledge
of local user databases (LDAP/SQL/whatever), per-user limits that might vary by
class-of-service, etc.  And a single milter can be referenced by multiple MTAs,
so this could easily be a single site-wide facility.

The only question you have to ask is how to identify a user reliably.  Someone
who knows you're rate-limiting outbound could easily spoof the From: or MAIL
FROM to try to get around it; you'll need to handle attacks like that.

I've implemented stuff like this before with milter, so I know it can be done.

-MSK