Hi

My log files has a moderate amount of TLS warnings:

postfix/smtpd[25614]: warning: TLS library problem: 25614:error:14094416:SSL
routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert certificate unknown:s3_pkt.c:1102:SSL
alert number 46:

I'm aware that this could be (according to an older thread on this list) just
an issue with the clients that are connecting to me.  However, I'd like to be
sure that this is the case.

I've spent all day reading http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html but I'm not
really any the wiser.

What I would like is:

SMTP
::      MUAs connecting on 587 are required to use TLS
::      MUAs connecting on 25 can use TLS if the want to

SMTPD
::      Hosts connecting to me are offered TLS and use it
::      That my server use TLS if it is offered by a remote host

I think I'm fixed on the first one.  My master.cf says:

submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
   -o smtpd_delay_reject=yes
   -o receive_override_options=no_address_mappings
   -o content_filter=dksign:[127.0.0.1]:10028
   -o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes
   -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
   -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt

I think the error is related to the third point.

And I have absolutely no idea if my server is using TLS if it's offered for
outgoing mail.

In main.cf I have smtpd_use_tls = yes but the documentation tells me this is
obseleted (I'm running 2.7.1) and to use smtpd_tls_security_level = may instead
- however, vim tells me that the former is a valid configurable (it's
highlighted) whilst the latter is not.  That's part of my confusion.

mail:~# postconf -n | grep -i TLS
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtpd_sasl_security_options
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/keys/ca.crt
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/keys/mail..net.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/mail..net.key
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 2
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_use_tls = yes
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

How can I be sure my server is using TLS for hosts that offer it?

And how can I be sure those errors in the logs are the connecting host and not
mine?

Thanks for any advice.

Simon