From: Mark Homoky [mailto:mark.hom...@lingidiom.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:28 PM
To: Joel Roberts
Cc: postfix-users@postfix.org
Subject: Re: Attachment Limit Size

On 13 Oct 2011, at 23:08, Joel Roberts
<joel.robe...@pinkardcc.com<mailto:joel.robe...@pinkardcc.com>> wrote:

Hi all, new to the group. Have recently setup POSTFIX as an SMTP relay front
end to an Exchange 2007 backend. Have encountered the following issue:

I'm using POSTFIX as an SMTP fronted relay to an
Exchange<http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1663396&page=1> 2007
backend. The default size for attachments in POSTFIX is 10 MB. I've set that in
the configuration file to be 20 MB. When I look at postconf -n it verifies that
the limit is set to 20 MB, (message_size_limit = 20480000). I've stopped and
restarted the postfix service, but messages are still bounced back to my
Exchange server<http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1663396&page=1> as
undeliverable if they exceed 10 MB in size.) The bounce-back message users
receive lists the Debian Linux / Postfix server as the server bouncing it back
for exceeding size. Is there somewhere else this needs to be set?
The error message I get from exchange is:

This message exceeds the maximum message size allowed. Microsoft Exchange will
not try to redeliver this message for you. Please make the message smaller --
by removing attachments, for example -- and try sending it again, or provide
the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message:
{POSTFIX_SERVER.OUR_DOMAIN.com.

Thank you,

Joel Roberts
Network Administrator

Joel,

Prove it's Postfix that's rejecting your downstream mail. Show the Postfix
logs; the eventvwr log from Exchange or the log of you following the Postfix
author's suggestion of a telnet session and its output.

Did you check Curtis' suggestion too (that it's the Exchange Server that
requires configuring also)?

-- Mark Homoky.

Sent from my iPhone