Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply - that's certainly cleared a few things up!

>> check_recipient_access hash:/usr/pkg/etc/postfix/access,
>
> "access" is a bad name for this. Since you're checking recipient
> addresses, I would suggest a name of "rcpt_access", or similar.

I've renamed this to sender_access (see below).

>> reject_unauth_pipelining,
>> reject_non_fqdn_recipient, reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
>
> These two will do nothing useful. They don't hurt, but it might be
> useful for you to consider what they are. Spammers are going to be
> hitting you with addresses@your.actual.domains. They are probably not
> trying to hit "addresses@localhost" and the like.

Removed.

>> I have also set smtpd_delay_reject = yes
>
> There is no need to set that, as "yes" is the default value.

Removed.

>> However my access file does not appear to be being used (specifies
>> an address to be rejected, but it isn't).

My access file actually listed senders, so that's why that obviously
didn't work.

> I don't suppose we can help with that without the relevant logs and
> portions of /usr/pkg/etc/postfix/access that you think should have
> matched. But before you post again, note again that it is called as a
> *recipient* address lookup. It will not be searched for client, helo,
> nor sender addresses.

I guess what I'm after is a way to whitelist certain senders.  ie. if
they're okay, then no further processing is needed - just deliver.  Is
this possible?  If so, presumably smtpd_sender_restrictions =
check_sender_access hash:/sender_access is the place to put it?

> This check_helo_access file, /usr/pkg/etc/postfix/helo_access, has a
> better name. You are using the old syntax for
> reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname, reject_invalid_helo_hostname, and
> reject_unknown_helo_hostname, but that is not a problem.

I have replaced these with up-to-date syntax.

Fresh postconf -n attached.