On 11/16/2011 1:16 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 16.11.2011 19:04, schrieb Daniel Bromberg:
and making a restore request goes to their sysadmin
ticketing system and takes days and days. :-(
if this happens they are not useable for any business

i fear you will get no hosting with direct access to the VMware-level because
this would mean the managment-ports have to be opened somehow and i would
never ever do this for a customer, technically vCenter is able to delegate
user-roles

we have our own vCenter / SAN, yes it was a long way to get this
infrastructure and yes it is not cheap at the first view, but in
the last weeks i needed two new servers for special needs and
migrated the last physical box, the total TCO and flexibility
is great - remember for a small server like a DNS you need only
to assign around 500 MB RAM while CPU does not matter such things
are great over the long and you have full-control

if sometimes later more CPU / Memory is needed it is so simple
add and host, memory or a second CPU since even with the essential
licensce you can have 3 hosts with 2 physical CPUs in each

This sounds great and comprehensive but probably something I can't adopt until I increase my overall business size 5-10 fold. I would settle for a hosting service that gives me the minimum I need, i.e. a configurable snapshot policy (with appropriate sliding-scale pricing) and an automated restore system (i.e. web or command line request gatewayed to actual vCenter). Any suggestions for such from anyone? Business is entirely U.S. based so physically US-based data center is highly preferable.

Thanks again,
-Daniel