On 2011-11-23 21:05, Mark Martinec wrote:
postfix 2.9.20111119 warns me:

   unused parameter: smtpd_client_connection_limit_exceptions

Yet if I remove this option from master.cf, I soon reach the connection
limit at the pre-queue content filter's re-entry smtpd service:

   421-4.7.0 mail.ijs.si Error: too many connections from ::1
   451 4.5.0 Contact postmas...@ijs.si for assistance.

Also I don't see the "smtpd_client_connection_limit_exceptions"
in the postconf(5) man page, yet it shows in the source (mail_params.h):

#define DEF_SMTPD_HOGGERS
   "${smtpd_client_connection_limit_exceptions:$" VAR_MYNETWORKS "}"

What am I missing?

10025           inet n  -       n       -       -  smtpd
     -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,reject
     -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8,[::1]
     -o smtpd_client_connection_limit_exceptions=0.0.0.0/0
[...]

Mark

Not much ;)

This is probably old code, since postconf(5) says:

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_client_event_limit_exceptions

*smtpd_client_event_limit_exceptions(default: $mynetworks <postconf.5.html#mynetworks>)*

   Clients that are excluded from smtpd_client_*_count/rate_limit
   restrictions.

You've apparently found the old setting; the above is the new (current) version.

Configuration parameters get renamed from time to time when a better description for added or changed behaviour applies. The old ones tend to hang around for several versions to avoid breaking existing configurations.

--
J.