On 02/12/2011 14:15, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 08:24:29AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

There is no scenario in which a site that accepts your mail (i.e.
has not classified you as a spammer, correctly or not) will offer
better service if all your mail delayed by a few hours, that just
time-warps the problem into the future and makes it more severe.

The Yahoo postmaster help page for TS01 actually suggests suspending
all mail to Yahoo for four hours, and apparently some people believe
what they write.

That makes no sense at all, surely nothing more productive will happen
when the spiggot is turned on 4 hours later with even more mail queued.

The point is that "following instructions" is a reasonable proxy for "being a legitimate sender". Spammers have no motivation to jump through the hoops, as they don't really care about mail which doesn't get through. Legitimate senders, though, have to if they are not to end up with large numbers of disgruntled senders and/or recipients.

To be more specific, Yahoo's code TS01 doesn't mean "You are sending us too much email and we want you to slow down". It means "We think you might be a spammer, so we are setting you a simple test of whether you can follow instructions". If you pass the test, then when you restart sending then you'll be able to get everything through - it won't be rate-limited by Yahoo.

Mark
--
 Sent from my Babbage Difference Engine
 http://mark.goodge.co.uk