Wietse Venema:
> This week I implemented a memcache client for Postfix in the hope
> that it would be useful to share postscreen(8) or verify(8) caches
> among multiple MTAs.
>
> The implementation is based on libmemcache.  This was not too much
> work, given a few examples (libmemcache is under-documented).
>
> However, robustness tests (with a single memcache server) proved
> disappointing.

Considering that memcache patches are floating around with several
problems, and the amount of time that I put into this, I have made
the Postfix memcache client part of the 2.9 release. This version
will at least reliably report problems with memcache servers.

The Postfix memcache client will compile only with libmemcache
1.4.0. The reason is that some API details were documented by looking
at libmemcache source code. Such details will likely change when
(if it ever happens) libmemcache is updated.