On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:24:38 -0500 (EST)
Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:

[snip]

> There are two stateful engines: the TCP stack and ipfilter.

*nodding*

> With "keep state", ipfilter "remembers" the connection and lets
> packets pass, up to the point that ipfilter believes the connection
> no longer exists.

Understood.

> The TCP stack sends an outbound ACK|RST because it received
> *something* on port 25. Your firewall should not have passed that.

Should not have passed it *incoming*, do you mean?

> Perhaps you don't have "flags S keep state" for inbound port 25
> traffic.

I do:

# SMTP to gateway
pass in quick on bge1 proto tcp from any to any port = 25 flags S
 keep state

(The stuff all says "any" because there are only two devices in the
DMZ: The border router's "inside" interface and the firewall's
"outside" one.  It's a true DMZ.)

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is