On Thursday 29 December 2011 08:15:40 Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> I am using postfix, amavisd-new, spam assassin, clamav on a
> gateway system.
>
> A short question (I know it's a bit off-topic but I know that
> people here run similar systems):
>
> I've read how to release and/or forward quarantined mail. But
> can I read the quarantined mails in situ (i.e. in the quarantine
> directory)? Can I use some utility to display it in human-
> readable form and examine details (headers, subject, etc.) so I
> can decide whether it should be released or not?

What did you try?

If the quarantine is a maildir, each message is in a separate file.
Any pager or viewer or editor can view it. I like mc(1), which has
file management bundled with a viewer and editor.

If you need more than the plaintext payload, such as MIME decoding
and/or HTML rendering (the latter might not be a good idea with spam
and virus suspects), you can open the maildir in any MUA which can
read a maildir. (You might want to open the maildir in a read-only
mode, so as to avoid moving the messages and possibly upsetting the
amavisd-new quarantine mechanism.)

And of course the amavisd-new list would be a better place to follow
up.