Hello List,

I upgraded postfix and accidentally restarted it with the standard postfix configuration file instead of my configuration file.

After about 100 bounced messages I realized my mistake and replaced the configuration file.

My setup has fetchmail collect the E-Mails from some pop-servers, deliver it to postfix who usually stores it in maildirs.

Fetchmail unfortunately worked perfectly, retrieved the mails and deleted it from the POP server. It successfully delivered them to postfix who replaced the n...@company.com with name@company.local but then could not resolve the hostname:

> postfix/smtp[12235] D3F729435A: to=<name@company.local>, relay=none, delay=0.1, delays=0.08/0/0.02/0, dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=company.local
type=A: Host not found

   And then I got

> postfix/bounce[16947]: D3F729435A: sender non-delivery notification: 01487F069D

   and then

> postfix/qmgr[24083]: D3F729435A: removed

Duh!

Does the "sender non-delivery notification" mean that my misconfigured postfix succesfully sent out a message?

   Is there any way to get those messages back?

Can you tell me something else that will ease my pain and/or save my ass?

Thank you,

Marcus