Quanah Gibson-Mount:
> I'm curious if anyone has tested Postfix SMTP auth in conjunction with
> Cyrus-SASL 2.1.25.  My testing shows that when used linked to Cyrus-SASL
> 2.1.25, SMTP auth fails with an unknown mechanism error.  Downgrading to
> Cyrus-SASL 2.1.23 with the exact same configuration and build parameters
> works as expected.
>
> My guess is this is an bug with Cyrus-SASL 2.1.25, however it is entirely
> possible there are API changes in 2.1.25 that Postfix needs to be adjusted
> for.  I guess consider this a general heads up, and if anyone has gotten it
> to work, I'd love to know that. ;)
>
> A 2.1.25 linked Postfix always complains about no available mechanism:

I recall that OpenLDAP also links with Cyrus SASL. Perhaps Postfix
and OpenLDAP were built with different Cyrus SASL versions?

In that case, you can expect to experience all kinds of memory
corruption, resulting in mysterious failures.

Maybe you can run smtpd under valgrind. Instructions are below.

        Wietse

1 - Put these lines in /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd.valgrind:

    #!/bin/sh
    CMD=`basename $0 .valgrind`
    /usr/local/bin/valgrind --tool=memcheck /usr/libexec/postfix/$CMD "$@"

2 - Make the file executable:

    # chmod 755 /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd.valgrind

3 - Edit master.cf to invoke smtpd.valgrind instead of smtpd.

4 - Stop Postfix and run the master daemon by hand:

    # postfix stop
    # /usr/libexec/postfix/master -d

    That will send valgrind's output to your terminal.

5 - Connect to the SMTP port and watch das blinkenlicht.