On 1/30/2012 9:10 AM, Eric Chandler wrote:
>> The above simple example catches *EVERYTHING* and is suitable to be
> used in a lab or test setting.  This is consistent with the initial
> request as I understand it.
>
>> If the request was incomplete, it should be clarified.
>
> Yes, I want to catch everything. The dev/qa environments use different
> MTAs than production. The two environments contain approximately 1,500
> linux/solaris hosts and, although they all run postfix, I don't have
> control over their applications that utilize it. Basically, it's BECAUSE
> they've had a bad history of flooding our corporate exchange servers
> with garbage that I want to create a place to store all emails they
> send, at-least long enough for those who want to see what they created
> can read them, before they are summarily-deleted automatically. It's
> partially a punishment to them for their lack of understanding of what
> emails can do to other systems, and partially to protect Exchange from
> filling up with garbage.
>
> My hope is that I could create a separate maildir for each recipient,
> no-matter if the recipient has a standard corporate email address, or
> even r...@postfix.org for all intents and purposes. I could easily write
> a cron to go down through all the maildirs and cull old stuff older than
> say a week. People who want to see what the emails contain could then
> imap in as whatever userid they want (another area for me to figure out
> - passwordless-imapd) and see those emails.

Eric, have you looked at Enkive?  It may give you much of what you're
looking for, right down to user-less, or single user login, with access
to everything.  Albeit with a search interface instead of an IMAP MUA,
which may actually be better given the test nature of mails being dumped
into the sink.  Check out the interactive demo and hit the search page
to see the search parameter box.

http://www.enkive.org/
http://wiki.enkive.org/index.php/Installation_Instructions
http://wiki.enkive.org/index.php/GettingMailIntoEnkive

I've not used it myself yet but it seems to have some nice features that
lend it to uses other than strictly archiving.  Uses Postfix as the MTA
to get mail dumped into it.

--
Stan