On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> Greg Wilson:
>> One attempt
>> was to make 2 entries with the same host name in /etc/hosts
>>
>> e.g
>> 10.222.100.1 exchange.mydomain.local exchange
>> 10.333.200.2
>> exchange.mydomain.local exchange
>>
>> Then changed the transport map
>>
>> mydomain.local smtp:[exchange.mydomain.local]
>>
>> My
>> info is that the square brackets stop Postifix doing mx record lookups.
>>

>> This didn't work and I don't know why. It works fine with an
>
> That 's because LINUX does not support multiple /etc/hosts records
> per name.
>
> Use a better OS, use DNS, or use my smtp_fallback_relay solution.
>
>        Wietse

Eh, Linux *does* support that, from man host.conf  (/etc/host.conf):

       multi  Valid values are on and off.  If set to on, the resolv+
library will return all valid addresses for a host that  appears  in
the  /etc/hosts  file, instead of only the first.  This is off by
default, as it may cause a substantial performance loss at sites with
large hosts files.