Hi,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 01:26:45PM -0500, john wrote:
> I realize that this is really the job of the MUA, but I would like
> to check that emails are in fact encrypted before being sent.

this can be ensured by running the emails through a (specialized)
content filter.

> suitable message/code. One other thing that we might also need to do
> is to move the supplied subject into the body of the message and
> substitute a generic heading, this to prevent the patient name
> showing up in plain text.

This idea could very well be incompatible with the chosen encryption
method:

Either, the message is already encrypted when it hits the gateway. Then
you can't do the subject moving and munging because the gateway can't
conceivably decrypt the message, required to put the old subject in
there. Or, the message must not be encrypted when it hits the gateway,
but be encrypted on the way out. But then, you can't guarantee the
confidentiality of the email end-to-end, only gateway to gateway, or
gateway to end, depending on what your recipients have.

> Is any of this possible, if so suggestions as to where to look or solutions.

I would try to copy-cat the typical amavisd-new pre-queue setup,
substituting amavis with your encryption stuff in the process.

Kind regards,
--Toni++