Am 02.03.2012 16:08, schrieb mail...@securitylabs.it:
> Il 02/03/2012 15:54, Reindl Harald ha scritto:
>>
>> Am 02.03.2012 13:19, schrieb Al:
>>> I'm curious if anyone uses DBMail with postfix to store mail.
>>> If so, what is the performance, could it be ran on
>>> the same system as posfix while receiving thousands of emails a day?
>> "some thousands of mails" are peanuts
>> make sure you have neough RAM and a good innodb-configuration
>>
>> innodb-settings froma production server with some hundret users
>> and currently 50.000 messages with totally 9 GB mailsize
>>
>> for these settings you need a machine with around 8 GB RAM
>> and MySQL >= 5.5.8
>
> Just curious. Why use dbmail as storage for mails?

because i can write my own admin-backends and have a FULL SQL driven
mailsystem with replication slave what can be used for postfix
as fallback / load balancer

how do you do your backups?

i stop the slave per cron, make the backup with rsync
and start the slave again having a 100% consistent
copy

> You don't have to backup a big database, just many small files

and you can make a 100% constistent backup pf this
many small files while the service is running?

you can not!

> so you can restore easy and capillar, how you restore one message or one
> mailbox with dbmail?

simply connect to the backup-machine running a second instance
parallel to the replication-slave and drag whatever message
whereever i like

> I don't think dbmail is faster or safer than a Maildir setup ora a
> Dbox (Dovecot's own high-performance mailbox format) setup.

there are much more things as performance
and as long i have a load-avg of 0.05 with some hundret maildomains
it is fast enough and below some reasons why it beats out EVERY
other solution compleltly
__________________

you can never integrate a non-fully-sql-driven mailserver in your
internal administration backend like we did - yes this was a lot
of work two years ago, but now i have a 100% secure, self maintained
admin-backend maintaining all sorts of services which you can not
buy anywhere

* register a dmoain with EPP (we are registrar)
* create the domain with all records on 4 dns-servers
* create a apache-webroot
* create database + user
* install a complete cms-setup (also self devleoped over years)
* create the given mailusers
* add the domain on the spamfirewall appliance
* notify from the billing system what servcies/customer
* users can be flagged aloowed for maintain the domain-accounts
* users are having a real-time vacation-backend (WebUI)
* users can set their vacation for different accounts with one click

in summary 2 minutes and the guy on the desk in front of me
starts customizing templates and help the users to configure
their mail-clients

you lose a customer?
well, press ONE button to arcjive and remove all this stuff

your internal workflow changes?
nothing easier in database-driven setups!
we will never depend on any software says how our internal workflow
has to be done because we are with dbmail as one component in a
puzzle able to design the administration of our infrastruture exactly
as we need it - at any time - you only need the knowledge how each
server-component works to implement this at your own