On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

># postconf -# policy_time_limit
>
> After:
>
> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>   # policy_time_limit = foo
>   # policy_time_limit = bar

The problem with this approach is that if you later re-enable the
policy,  it will not remove the #'d out entries.  Over time, you could
theoretically  end up with numerous #'d entries for the parameter.

This is most definitely not a theoretical scenario. In fact, it is quite trivial to produce. In addition, the postconf -# option is at best a hack. Even the man page notes there's no "reverse operation", which clearly illustrates it is at best a hack.

...snip...

An aside in this: why is this so important for you? What's wrong with using a text editor to clean up main.cf? Until this thread came along, I didn't even know you could use postconf to edit main.cf; I've always used a text editor. And I consider that a plus since it lets me add comments and group things in a logical fashion.

-- Larry Stone
   lston...@stonejongleux.com