On Mar 13, 2012, at 17.01, mouss wrote:

> Le 13/03/2012 19:07, b...@bitrate.net a écrit :
>> i've been experimenting with delivery for the virtual domain class to
>> dovecot via lmtp - e.g.
>>
>>> postconf virtual_transport
>> virtual_transport = lmtp:[localhost]:lmtp-deliver
>>
>> this works fine.
>>
>> out of curiosity, i wondered if the particulars could be somehow moved into
>> a service definition in master.cf - e.g.
>>
>> virtual_transport = dovecot
>
> yes, you can define a transport in master.cf and use it in main.cf. so
> you can define
>
> joerunsfast ... smtp
>       -o var=val
>
> and use that in main.cf:
>
> foo_transport = joerunsfast
>
> you can even define parameters for that transport:
>

> joerunsfast_variable = value
>
> in your main.cf, as far as "variable" applies to a transport (transports
> inherit from: smtp, lmtp, pipe, ... )
>

> $ cat master.cf
> # Dovecot LDA
> dovecot unix    -       n       n       -       -      pipe
>       flags=DRhu user=_mailbox
>       argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
>               -d ${user}@${domain} -n -m ${extension}
>
> $ grep dovecot main.cf
> virtual_transport = dovecot
> dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
> deliver_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
> …

yes, this part i think i understand - the difficulty i'm having is with
determining which parameters i can pass to lmtp to accomplish this.  i'm
effectively looking for what i would consider the equivalent to
virtual_transport=lmtp:[localhost]:lmtp-deliver - but reading through the
smtp/lmtp and others man pages and experimenting a bit, i've not been able to
figure out what parameter might provide for this.

>> and then somehow in master.cf a parameter to the lmtp service named dovecot,
>> specifying [localhost]:lmtp-deliver
>

> not that way:) it's transport:[nexthop], not [nexthop]:transport...
> man smtp, lmtp, pipe, …

sorry, i probably should have been more literal here, given the context.
[localhost] is the nexthop, and lmtp-deliver is the port [10026 in this case,
by way of the system's services database].  i omitted the leading transport
here [lmtp] in an attempt to illustrate that the data would be a parameter
passed to lmtp.

>> so far, given the various portions of the documentation i've referenced and
>> the iterations i've tried, the answer appears to be no, but i wondered if i
>> might be missing something.
>>

> I won't debate this now, but it seems to me that all this is documented.
> anyway, postfix supports custom transports, and they are used in many
> places. examples:
>
> - spam filtering: things like:
> amavis ..... smtp
>       -o blah=blah
>

> - delivery: things like
> dovecot ... pipe
>       -o blah=blah

therein lies my fundamental question, i guess.  having read the documentation
for lmtp(8), transport(5), master(5) and probably a few others i'm forgetting -
if i'm being blind to the relevant lmtp parameters, i'm hopeful i might glean
some enlightenment, or if not, just a confirmation that this particular
exercise isn't possible.