On 4/26/2012 10:37 AM, Jim Reid wrote:
> Hi. There must be a glaringly obvious solution to my problem that I
> can't see for looking at it. Can anyone help?
>
> A few "trusted" senders have trouble getting past my server's
> vicious anti-spam defences. Sometimes their mail is sent over IPv6
> from a source address that has no reverse DNS entry. For others,
> their connections come from blacklisted IPv4 addresses: for instance
> one of hotmail's outbound SMTP engines. This results in false
> positives for these senders and their inbound mail getting rejected.
> Sigh. The senders can't do anything about the naughty addresses
> their mail might get sent from, so I need to tweak my postfix setup
> somehow to let their mail through yet keep the spammers out.
>
> My thought was to set up an access map to allow incoming mail from
> these approved sender addresses. ie If the sending address in the
> SMTP envelope was in some list of trusted senders, accept the
> incoming mail. [Yes, I know MAIL FROM can be trivially forged but
> can live with that. Security through obscurity for these trusted
> addresses should be good enough to keep the spammers away.] However,
> when a hit is made against this access map, the remaining
> smtpd_*_restrictions still get checked. That means the inbound mail
> gets rejected because the connection is from a dodgy IP address even
> though the sender's SMTP envelope is supposedly trusted.
>
> What have I missed? Is there some way to bypass the reverse DNS and
> RBL checks for trusted SMTP envelopes or would that involve doing
> some sort of before queue filtering (with postcreen)?
>
> Here are the relevant snippets of my configuration:

Your "okclients" list contains sender addresses, not clients.  I
suggest renaming it to oksenders to prevent confusion.

> smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
>         check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/okclients

This must be
   check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/oksenders

>         reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org
>         reject_unknown_client_hostname
>         permit
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
>         check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/okclients

You *MUST* remove this.
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html#danger

>         reject_non_fqdn_sender
>         reject_non_fqdn_recipient
>         reject_unknown_recipient_domain

Typically, you would have here:
    permit_mynetworks

>         reject_unauth_destination

Put here:
   check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/oksenders

>         reject_unauth_pipelining
>
> And in okclients, there are entries like:
>
> trus...@example.com    OK
>
> If someone can apply clue, I'd be grateful.

  -- Noel Jones