I've been having an interesting (to me) problem. I'm getting auth.log entries like this:

May  2 14:02:15 server dovecot-auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication
failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=be rhost=

every 10 minutes. Note the empty rhost= data. 'be' was a username -- I got him to change it yesterday. Now I'm getting the same log entries with the both names.

Is it possible to send an IP packet with no 'source IP address'? If so, is pam just losing it somehow?

I get other similar entries, occasionally, like:

May  2 11:35:46 server dovecot-auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication
failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=tester@209 rhost=62.76.45.134

And some much more frequently, still with no rhost= info:

May  2 00:32:10 server dovecot-auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication
failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser=anonymous rhost=

I've asked on several lists, googled, and read books. I can't figure out what's going on. I thought the lack of rhost= indicated one of my monit monitors. So I turned them all off, and the entries came right in.

I know there's massive IP experience on this list. security-basics couldn't explain this, nor could SDLU. Can one (or more) of you help me understand?

TIA...

--
Glenn English