On 5/2/2012 6:02 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Michael Tokarev:
>>> The preferred pickup/qmgr IPC type (fifo or unix) can be a main.cf
>>> parameter setting (with an OS-dependent default value, e.g., fifo
>>> for Solaris and unix for everything else), and post-install can be
>>> updated to edit master.cf accordingly.
>>
>> Maybe this is something which don't really need any configuration
>> parameters, just pick up whatever is best on current OS, from prior
>> knowlege.  But indeed, config parameter there will do the job, and
>> will even let us test easily if things have changed on solaris,
>> without a need to recompile postfix.
>>
>> I'm a bit afraid of possible questions this change may generate
>> in the future, when people will start asking "what it is for,
>> why can't it be hardcoded" etc. :)
>
> $ postconf -d|wc -l
>      920
>
> No-one has complained sofar.
>
>>> Also, mounting stuff over Postfix directories breaks the basic model
>>> of how Postfix manages its files, and I definitely don't want some
>>> (Linux) distro maintainer to pick up on the idea.  I have enough
>>> work on my hands to deal with damage control of (Linux) distro
>>> maintainers.
>>
>> Well, I already suggested this to Debian - to mount /var/spool/postfix/run

To who at Debian?  Lamont Jones?  Has he replied to your idiotic idea yet?

> Thank you for making my worst nightmares come true. I will do
> my best to prevent this from happening, and if I find out that
> they do it anyway, then I will raise hell and it won't be pretty.

All of this nonsense because one guy on the planet feels he can't simply
use an MUA with submission like everyone else does, but demands he be
able to run an MTA on his damn desktop/laptop, and demands the default
MTA config allows him to do what he wants seamlessly, possibly to the
detriment of others, mainly the guy who wrote this MTA for your use in
the first place.  At least that's my read of this thread.

--
Stan