On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:07:03AM +0200, Patrick Westenberg wrote:

> As far as I understand transport tables, you just have to maintain
> one transport table on your server in Australia:
>
>     user_austra...@example.com        virtual (or whatever)   #local user
>     user2_a...@example.com    smtp:asia.example.com   #remote user
>
> On asia.example.com it should work with one fixed transport (e.g.
> relay_transport = virtual) for all users handled by this server.

In other words different transport tables in Asia and Australia,
which is my point. With rewriting, all the tables can be shared
(and of course replicated for availability, ...).

I also prefer to avoid LDAP and SQL lookups in the transport table
for performance/reliability reasons, and once transport is per-user,
with enough users one tends to want something more central than
flat files.

--
        Viktor.