Your relay_domains file should like something like:

example.com             x
example2.com            x

etc...

It really doesn't matter what is on the right hand side, as long as there is
something there.

This file is all well and good but cannot be used by postfix until you run the
postmap command. Simple run:

postmap relay_domains

(
If you're not in the same directory as the file you'll need to put the full
path, e.g:

postmap /etc/postfix/relay_domains
)

This makes the file usable by postfix - whenever you update a hash table you
have to run postmap again for the change to take effect on the live
configuration.

Kind regards,

James Day