On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:42:59 +0000, Viktor Dukhovni
<postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 09:10:34AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > Thus, VERP increases the number of parallel connections.  This may
> > result in overflow of state tables in under-powered stateful
> > routers, causing them to drop packets that don't match any existing
> > state.
>
> Or perhaps the state tables don't overflow, but rate limits apply
> regardless of connection state. In fact that would be correct
> behaviour I think. Rate enforcement has little to do with whether
> the connection table is full or not...

[SOLVED]  It was rate limiting kicking in.
As it should.
I was unaware that Postfix could be so fast while VERP'ing.

This postfix setup resides in a fairly modest Xen VPS server.
Due to strict policies that we must comply with, it has fairly
conservative --limit and --limit-burst settings. And, as expected, when
those limits are topped those extra packets get logged and trapped by
the final "-A OUTPUT -j DROP").

> I would guess that the OP's iptables configuration unwisely fails
> to discriminate between incoming and outgoing traffic.

Not in this case. All streams (and not only INPUT and OUTPUT) are fully
discrete, have their own needs and their own policies.

> The solution is to exempt traffic sent from the machine from the rate
> controls.

In 2012, in a server facing the net and running other services besides
mail, I would not call it a safe bet. In the event (that must be
accounted for) of an intrusion, one should consider that a syn flood
DOS isn't an exclusive of the INPUT stream.

Thank you all,

M.