I wonder if some of you guys could help me identify where an issue
lies within my Postfix setup.  Let me first say that I have got a
completely working Postfix installation that accepts external mail and
forwards it on when neccessary and I can also send mail locally using
mail/mailx... the problem arrises when I try to use ClamAV milter with
Postfix.

When I add the ClamAV milter into main.cf, and attempt to deliver an
email from an external source, everything works well with no issues.
Mail delivery works as designed and is stopped successfully when I try
to send an EICAR test virus from external source but when I try to
send an email using mail/mailx locally it doesn't get delivered and I
get the following in the logs;

Aug 27 09:17:22 mailserver postfix/pickup[17976]: 247B7D006E: uid=0 from=<root>
Aug 27 09:17:22 mailserver postfix/cleanup[18369]: warning: connect to
Milter service unix:/var/clamav/clmilter.socket: Permission denied
Aug 27 09:17:22 mailserver postfix/cleanup[18369]: 247B7D006E:
milter-reject: CONNECT from localhost[127.0.0.1]: 4.7.1 Service
unavailable - try again later; from=<root@mailserver.sausage.local>

Now, due to the fact that local mail IS delivered when I am not using
ClamAV, but ISN'T delivered when I do use ClamAV, it may be that it's
the configuration of the milter that is the issue rather than the
config of Postfix, but I'd like to know why the milter only accepts
mail external  and not locally.  The postconf -n is listed below;

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 3
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
local_recipient_maps =
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
$mydomain, sausage.co.uk
mydomain = sausage.local
myhostname = mailserver.sausage.local
non_smtpd_milters = unix:/var/clamav/clmilter.socket
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
setgid_group = postdrop
smtp_host_lookup = native
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/password
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
smtpd_milters = unix:/var/clamav/clmilter.socket
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be greatful.

Thanks

John