Nick Rosier:
> Hi,
>
> I have Postfix configured to query some maps (proxy:pgsql) on my
> Postgresql-server which is only accessible through IPv6. Occasionally
> I see following errors:
>
> postfix/smtp: warning: connect to pgsql server db.domain.tld: could
> not translate host name "db.domain.tld" to address: hostname nor
> servname provided, or not known?

The getaddrinfo() system library routine returns this error. It
works per the instructions in /etc/nsswitch.conf which on my
FreeBSD box contains: "hosts: files dns"

The Postfix SMTP client uses the getaddrinfo() system library routine
returns when the smtp_host_lookup parameter contains "native".

Maybe you should use "smtp_host_lookup = dns", and use "inet_protocols
= ipv4, ipv6".

> The hosts is defined with IPv6 address in /etc/hosts FreeBSD getent
> can (currently) not be used to resolve hosts to IPv6
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=161548).  dig fails
> to resolve unless I request the AAAA-record.

If the host has only an IPv6 address, then you must ask for the AAAA
record. No surprise here.

> I've tried putting the IPv6-address in as host (both 2001:xxx:xxx:xxx
> as well as [2001:xxx:xxx:xxx]) but that doesn't work either. What
> is the correct format I can put in proxy-maps?  Any idea why
> hostname resolving seems to work most of the time but sometimes
> fail?

Say what? The proxymaps feature does not use IP addresses.