Steffen Schebesta:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I deliver mails to my Postfix through smtpd. Postfix then takes it and sends
> it out to the recipient.
>
> Now I'm trying to change the queue_id for each email in Postfix 2.9 source
> code so that it is equal to the Message-ID (it is unique, don't worry) that
> I set in the email header when passing the email to Postfix through smtpd.
> I've looked in the source code for hours but cannot find the first time
> queue_id is set.
>
> In smtpd.c that (in my understanding) handles incoming mail through smtpd
> the variable state->queue_id is already used and only read but not written.
>
> I would really appreciate any tips where I can find the initial setting and
> on how I can set state->queue_id to Message-ID

Reasons not to use the message-id as the queue file name:

- Different messages may contain the same Message-ID value.

- Some messages don't contain a Message-ID. This field is not
  required by current RFC documents.

- Chicken-and-egg problem: Postfix chooses the queue file name (and
  creates the file) before it receives the message content.

I suggest that you set "enable_long_queue_ids = yes". Long queue ID
strings don't repeat as long as your clock moves forward.