On 2/12/2013 10:07 AM, Miha Valencic wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
>>
>> put it under smtpd_sender_restrictions so you don't have to muck
>> around with your existing smtpd_recipient_restrictions.
>
> Noel,
>
> just want to make sure: postfix 2.7 evaluates
> smtpd_sender_restrictions *after* RCPT TO? Couldn't find which version
> of postfix changed the time of the evaluation. From the docs: "Early
> Postfix versions evaluated SMTP access restrictions lists as early as
> possible..."

In this case, "early" refers to ancient pre-1.0 versions.  In your
version, evaluation is controlled by the smtpd_delay_reject, which
should always be set to "yes".
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_delay_reject

> Don't sender restrictions get evaluated before the recipient
> restrictions? Which would mean that we would potentically "HOLD" email
> (spam) for non-existing users (and hence generate NDRs)?
>
> Thanks, Miha.

HOLD does not guarantee the mail will be accepted.  The HOLD action
doesn't do anything until after the mail is accepted and queued.

  -- Noel Jones