.
> > Is there a sensible way to configure postfix to allow these messages
> > with null sender addresses to be relayed without opening the smart
> > host up to exploitation?
>
> Sending bounces is not "exploitation", but the "smart host" (really
> submission service) policy is up to the ISP. Ask them.

I wasn't trying to suggest that sending bounces would be exploitation, rather
that allowing *all* messages with a NULL sender to relayed through could
potentially be exploited to send spam as <>

> NO. Bounces MUST be sent with a null sender address. Otherwise, bounces
> would elicit bounces in return creating mail loops, sometimes exponentially
> growing, if a message elicits multiple non-delivery reports.

Yes I know that and have referred to that point below.

> The solution is to use a relay that permits bounces. Either the ISP relaxes
> their policies, or a different relay must be found.

As I feared, thank you for confirming.

> > And before anyone comments, yes I know this isn't best practice as
> > NDR's should have null sender addresses to stop loops (bouncing
> > bounce-backs!).
>
> Not "should", MUST. Not "isn't best practice", rather prohibited.
>
> --
>       Viktor.

I understand and agree however in my experience you sometimes have to fudge
things so they operate with incorrectly configured systems (against my own
wishes!)

James