Wietse Venema <wietse <at> porcupine.org> writes:

> deliveries. Proper SMTP connection caching is not done by the SMTP
> clients but by a separate process that is queried by SMTP clients.

If you don’t manage to do that with TLS, this statement is plainly wrong.
Connection caching is a matter of also being nice to the recipient, who
doesn’t have to spawn many sendmail processes in parallel to handle the
roughly 500 mails that piled up on the Postfix side, right now. If Postfix
were able to do proper connection reuse (WITH TLS, of course!) the mail
delivery wouldn’t stop after the first couple of messages was submitted
(because sendmail stops listening when the load reaches 8) and wouldn’t
need to be retried (manually using postqueue -f once the sendmail load
is down again, because the sending box is too busy to ever empty this
queue with the default retry times).

So I request of Postfix to implement connection reuse, supporting TLS
(that means with*out* the separate dæmon unless you manage to be able
to do that and still use TLS), by default.

Thanks.

Sorry for my tone, I’m a tad disgruntled right now *and* under pressure
from my cow-orkers to get the pile of mails delivered.