On 3/12/2013 5:21 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,

>>> The config for an internal server is pretty simple, something like
>>>
>>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>>>   check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/allowed_clients
>>>   check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/pop-b-smtp
>>> # next line optional
>>>   permit_mynetworks
>>> # finally, reject anything not explicitly allowed
>>>   reject
>
> I have two different threads going for two different servers (one a
> relay, one a mail store), so I don't want to make it confusing. This
> is for the mail store.
>
> Will this set of restrictions above prevent the standard Internet user
> who hasn't authenticated using pop-b-smtp from being able to send mail
> to the local recipients? That is what I'd like to be able to do.

Yes.  Although see my other mail about a more secure config;
probably better to use that.

smpd_recipient_restrictions =
  permit_mynetworks
  check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/pop-b-smtp
  reject_unauth_destination
  check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/allowed_clients
  reject

The final reject insures that random clients cannot send you mail.

> pop-b4-smtp is so old that I'm reluctant to continue to maintain it on
> the new system, but it may just be to my benefit instead of the
> difficulty with forcing SMTP Auth from the day the server goes live.

Absolutely a good time to require AUTH and get away from p-b-smtp.

> Standard users on the Internet should not be mailing this server
> directly, so I'd like to either require pop-b4-smtp or SMTP Auth and
> otherwise reject mail outright.
>
> Shouldn't I just eliminate pop-b4-smtp in this day and age and require
> SMTP Auth?

Yes.  There was a time when some mainstream mail clients didn't
support AUTH, or supported it poorly, hence the need for p-b-smtp.
There was also a time it was considered good manners to be an open
relay so your neighbors could use your server.  Both those have
outlived their usefulness.

  -- Noel Jones