On 2013-03-13 Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> first, I have my postfix setup to receive mail and drop it in the
> user's ~/mail directory.
> I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can have both "virtual"
> users and non virtual users.

You can alias localparts of virtual domains or virtual mailbox domains
to local mailboxes via $virtual_alias_maps. See the [1] for more
details.

> I'd also like to be able to use procmail on these.

Procmail is designed for local delivery. It looks like you can (ab)use
it for virtual delivery as well [2], but I wouldn't recommend it.

Please describe the problem you're trying to solve instead of what you
perceive as the solution. What do you want procmail (or more generally
your mail delivery agent) to do?

> Is there a way (short of just creating empty users) that I could do
> this and still retain email per user?

What do you mean by "short of creating empty users"? You can create any
number of mailboxes and/or aliases. You can have any number of aliases
pointing to a mailbox. You cannot have a mailbox without a mailbox.

> Finally, I'm looking for some way to handle recycling mail. I
> personally know to clean up my own mail folder by deleting stuff (we
> use Imap), but the support system or my girlfriend probably wouldn't
> clean up those messages.

In one word: don't. Do NOT tamper with other people's personal
mailboxes. Ever. Set up mailbox quota if you want to restrict the amount
of mail your users can keep.

[1] http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
[2] http://standish.home3.org/virtual-procmail

Regards