On 2013-05-07 10:54:06 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 07.05.2013 10:40, schrieb Vincent Lefevre:
> >>
> >> and in this case it needs a vaild PTR
> >
> > Perhaps (any quote from the RFC's?). But anyway I can't do anything
> > about it. I receive important mail from users whose IP doesn't have
> > a reverse hostname. Not one user, several ones
>
> the world is not turning around you

Yes, and that's precisely why I consider how *other users* send
their mail.

> it is common practice to not accept mails from hosts without a
> valid PTR

A PTR is not associated with a host, but with an IP address. That's
important because mail may be sent from different IP addresses,
depending on the recipient or other factors. And it seems that
some users forget to set up a PTR for all their IPv6 addresses.
This apparently includes Debian's mailing-list server.

> and you can ignore this but you also need to understand the the
> rules from which machines i and many others accept mail are not up
> to you

I agree, but I repeat that I cannot change the config of other
users. From what I can see in my mail archive, it is *not* safe
to blindly reject mail from IPs without a valid PTR. At least
currently.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>