On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

> On 6/18/2013 11:19 AM, Steve Jenkins wrote:
>
> > A good reminder that we often try to over-complicate things, and that the
> > simplest answer is often the best. :)
>
> You mean like using SMTP for a job best handled by SNMP or syslog? ;)
>

> IIRC both are supported by the "Gen 1" APC net cards.

Yeah.... like THAT! ;)

Although, as it turns out, I was able to get these alerts working in under
5 minutes with four lines in my main.cf:

relayhost = [smtp.comcast.net]:587
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =

While setting up my at-home DD-WRT firewall to allow SNMP messages outbound
to our colo-based Nagios server would have taken at least 8 minutes. :)

And given your description of Colo+home, setting up a site-to-site VPN
> between the two would not only fix this issue, but likely many to come
> up in the future.

That STILL sounds less simple than those four lines, but you make an
excellent point, Stan (as usual). I'll look into that in anticipation of
the next issue that will surely come up. :)

SteveJ