The problem was a broken /etc/apt/sources.list in debian.
Someone changed one of the repositories to wheezy, and left the others as
squeeze.
A broken package dependency made the postfix resolver stop working,
apparently.
After the system was fully upgraded to wheezy, postfix started working as
expected.

Thanks everyone.