On 8/6/2013 1:57 AM, The_Ace wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM, David Benfell <dbenf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to move my maildirs to a non-standard location (trying to balance
>> disk activity) and there's something I think I'm missing. Here's what I
>> tried:
>>
>> home_mailbox = /Maildir/$user/

That's not how it works.  home_mailbox is a relative path within a user
home directory.  Postfix already knows the username, already knows the
path of the user's home directory.  What you specify here gets tacked
onto the home directory path.  I.e.

homedir:
/home/stan

home_mailbox=Maildir/

Maildir style mail is written into

/home/stan/Maildir/

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#home_mailbox

>> But when I ran 'postfix check' it said, several times:
>>
>> /usr/bin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: undefined parameter: user
>>
>> What I want is if the recipient is benf...@parts-unknown.org for the mail to
>> be delivered to /Maildir/benfell/

This is a really important point you need to clarify.  Are you wanting
to write different users' mail to different filesystem locations,
different disks?  I.e. David's mail to disk A and Susie's to disk B?  Or
do you want to move everyone's mail to a new location?  Each requires a
different main.cf config.  And if these are system user accounts, not
virtual, then you may not be able to specify storage path on a per user
basis.

> The home_mailbox parameter works for local shell accounts and its
> relative to the user's home folder.
> look up the mail_spool_directory parameter. It looks like thats the
> one you need to use.

This is only valid if he wants to deliver all users' mail to a single
path/location.  It won't work for the per user case.

--
Stan