Ben:
> Hi Wietse,
>
>  > You removed the third instance name from the main.cf file of the
>  > "primary" Postfix instance (for example, the /etc/postfix/main.cf).
>
> Its still listed right there in multi_instance_directories if that's
> what you mean ?
>
> postmulti -l also shows it  ?

What is the output from: "postmulti -l"? In my case I see:

    -               -               y         /etc/postfix
    postfix-test    -               n         /etc/postfix-test
    postfix-foo     -               n         /etc/postfix-foo

Here, postfix-test and postfix-foo are DISABLED. A disabled
instance will NOT be started automatically.