On 29 Aug 2013, at 13:34 , Glenn English <g...@slsware.com> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2013, at 12:49 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>
>> --On Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:59 PM +0900 peter evans <pe...@ixp.jp>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>     Combine these two into one. put permit_sasl_ at the top
>>>     as it is a first match wins thing. And of course, re-educate
>>>     your client that auth belongs on port 587. (for example, Japan
>>>     has a lot of places outright blocking port 25.[1])
>>
>> Yes, so does the US.  I have already requested the customer be educated
>> about proper ports to use, but they are quite insistent on using 25 for
>> whatever reasons.
>
> I'm under the impression that 587 is to be used by my local users

It is to be used by any users who are authorized to send and received mail on
your server. 25 *should* only be used for MTAs to send mail to a user on your
mailserver.

> (email clients to local MTA), and 25 is used by MTA<->MTA. Is this wrong?
>
> And /etc/services says:
>
>> auth         113/tcp         authentication tap ident

ident has nothing to do with mail. ident has nothing to do with anything
anymore, really. I think the only people that still use ident are some IRC
servers, and most users have to fake an ident server in their IRC client.

$ grep 587 /etc/services
submission      587/tcp
submission      587/udp

--
'Where do shadows come from? That's where the wind is blowing!' --Colour
of Magic