On Aug 30, 2013, at 7:07 AM, Terry Gilsenan wrote:

> As attachments get larger, and end users use email rather than ftp for file
> transfer for convenience sake, a UDP implementation, perhaps using UDP as a
> data streaming channel could become a very useful configuration, and the
> transfer speed over high latency links (think satellite etc) could improve
> immensely.

I don't think so. As Weitse said yesterday, to run SMTP successfully on UDP,
he'd have to duplicate TCP's back-and-forth to make sure those bits got there,
they were correct, in the right order, etc. If that were done, you'd be back at
TCP overhead and speed (and reliability).

Streaming movies is one thing; transfering legal documents and medical records
is another.

--
Glenn English