On 09/21/2013 08:34 AM, li...@rhsoft.net wrote:

> Am 21.09.2013 17:25, schrieb DTNX Postmaster:
>> +1 on using Debian ClamAV packages without any problems. We use
>> the milter package to integrate it with Postfix, using unix
>> sockets.
>>
>> The problem people generally run into with unix sockets is one of
>>  permissions. The milter socket needs to be stored inside the
>> Postfix chroot, and be writable by both Postfix and the milter
>> daemon
>
> which leaves the question open why the Debian postfix-maintainer
> insists in the *non upstream* chroot-default after years of most
> problems reported here are caused by it?

My apologies. In part because my mail is not now getting sorted in its
normal way, I'm seeing some of these replies out of order.

There *is* a problem here. And actually my experience with systemd
suddenly becomes a little relevant. While I don't know of anyone
worshipping at the feet of the Debian Postfix maintainer, apparently
s/he is doing things that work for some people and not for others.

The same can be said, except that I *do* see people worshipping at the
feet of, the developer of pulseaudio and systemd. I think in general
distributions need to be more careful about adopting radical notions
that may not be necessary for things to actually work. (And while I
like keeping software up to date, a case can be made that many of the
recent changes in Arch Linux, which I've had to suddenly abandon,
leading to my dilemma with postfix on Debian, are changes for the sake
of change.)

Probably a bunch of people here have seen pulseaudio flame wars. I
don't mean to start anything of the sort here. But there are
occasionally problems where people developing something stop listening
to people who are actually trying to use it and who are running into
problems. The assumption seems to be it works for the developers,
therefore if you run into problems, it is *you* who are the idiot. (In
my line, I saw something very similar to this with
post-modernists--it's called intellectual bullying.)

That is, emphatically, not the case with postfix itself, but possibly
with the Debian maintainer of postfix. It is certainly also not the
only cause of flame wars, but I think it is one.

- From what I can see, the case for chrooting postfix is dubious at
best. Likewise, I was never satisfied with the case for wholesale
adoption of pulseaudio. In these cases, the problem is not so much
with the original software--there *does* need to be space for
innovation--but with the distribution(s).

And I think I'm now using a distribution that is, at least for me,
sabotaging postfix. Which means I'll need to use something else.
That's not a knock on postfix, but rather a critique of Debian on this
particular package.

- --
David Benfell
see https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the