Kov?cs Albert:
>I wouldn't use a regular smtp chat with the postfix smtpd daemon,
>because I don't want to block the application until smtpd receives
>the message.

There is no need to "block the application". Use parallism.

>My next idea is to just modify the application, and drop (with the
>link() syscall) the message directly to postfix's queue directory,
>and hopefully qmgr or something notices that "aha!  I've got a new
>message to deliver."

In that case, you are on your own, with zero support. Translation:
unlike the supported SMTP and sendmail iinterfaces that are maintained
until eternity, your direct-to-queue submission method will break
without any warning as Postfix evolves.